tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: request for a DLT value for wireshark DVB-CI

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 10:45:25 -0800

On Feb 27, 2011, at 10:39 AM, Guy Harris wrote:

Yes, it does, thanks.  Should I just cite that page as a reference in the comment I put into pcap/bpf.h for the DLT
value?-

And I *especially* thank you for giving such a detailed specification!  Detailed specifications such as that

        1) make it easier to write code to analyze packets for a given link-layer type;

        2) make it easier to verify that code and make changes to it;

        3) make it harder for somebody to mistakenly generate incorrect packets in that format (and then plead for
heuristics in code that reads packets in that format to detect their incorrect packets and handle them).

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.