tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: build a raw packet

From: Gabe Black <Gabe.Black () jdsu com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 15:01:50 -0800

From: tcpdump-workers-owner () lists tcpdump org [tcpdump-workers-owner () lists tcpdump org] On Behalf Of Aaron Turner
[synfinatic () gmail com]
Look at libdnet and libnet.  I'll state right here and now that libnet
doesn't seem to be properly maintained anymore and I've had issues
compiling against the library headers in the past.  It's easy to fix,
but annoying.  If you're distributing source code and expecting people
to link against libnet, it's probably just easier to ship libnet too,
especially since there are two common versions out in the wild with
different and incompatible API's.

I had looked at libnet prior to posting, however the first hit on google that led to its documentation
http://libnet.sourceforge.net/libnet.html#Alphabetic%20List%20of%20Functions did not seem like it would be helpful;
nothing on packet construction.  libnet.sourceforge sounded like a legit url for libnet.  Thank you for the clue as to
there being two versions, as I then probed in to more libnet links and I found documentation for a seemingly different
version here: http://linux.die.net/man/3/libnet which seems to have functions to do the kind of things I am looking for!

I'll look for where I can get the version of libnet that that man page is referring to.
Thanks again,
Gabe-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.