tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Fix print-pflog.c

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:00:25 -0700

On Mar 31, 2010, at 9:15 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:

Two questions:
  1) is there anything preventing us from processing pflog
     format pcap files on any system (i.e. a header I'm missing
     on non-BSD systems)?

The fact that the header for packets in a DLT_PFLOG file can be (and has been) changed by the pflog developers, without
a version number in the header and without asking for a new DLT_ value every time it changes, and we decided not to
even try to follow that, so we get the packet header format from <net/if_pflog.h> (and other stuff from <net/pfvar.h)?

  2) can you give us a .pcap file and test case to process that
     file, so that this does not happen again?

The problem was presumably that tcpdump probably didn't even *build* on FreeBSD or OpenBSD.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.