tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: pcap_findalldevs() failing on FreeBSD 7.2

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:03:42 -0700

On Sep 24, 2009, at 10:18 PM, Aaron Turner wrote:

Actually, none of his interfaces are being returned (nfe0, nfe1 and
lo0).  I looked in the change log and don't see any mention of any
improvements/fixes in pcap_finalldevs() since 0.9.7 so I figured I'd
mention it.

On FreeBSD releases with getifaddrs(), pcap_findalldevs() should be using getifaddrs() to find all the network devices.

On all UN*Xes, it will also attempt to open each device it finds before adding it to the list of known devices, in an attempt to filter out devices the native capture mechanism doesn't support (e.g., loopback devices on Solaris; merely rejecting all loopback devices is wrong, as many other OSes *do* support capturing on them, such as Linux, most if not all OSes with BPF, and Tru64 UNIX).
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.