tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: pcap_findalldevs() failing on FreeBSD 7.2

From: Abdelrazak Younes <younes.abdel () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:04:10 +0100

Hello Aaron,

Aaron Turner wrote:
I've got a user of tcpreplay having issues where his interfaces are
not being returned via pcap_findalldevs() under FreeBSD 7.2 using
libpcap 0.9.7.  I don't have much more information unfortunately, but
I do know he has an "nVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Ethernet" NIC as well
as the obvious loopback.

I've confirmed he is running as root and the interface is up:

nfe0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=19b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4>
        ether 00:1e:8c:b1:de:91
        inet 192.168.1.111 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex,flag0,flag1>)
        status: active

Actually, none of his interfaces are being returned (nfe0, nfe1 and
lo0).  I looked in the change log and don't see any mention of any
improvements/fixes in pcap_finalldevs() since 0.9.7 so I figured I'd
mention it.

User has since switched to Linux which works fine, so more of a FYI
then anything.

FWIW I noticed some problems with pcap_finalldevs() under Windows XP and Vista with Winpcap-4.1beta5. Essentially pcap_findalldevs() can only be used once in an application. The second time, pcap_findalldevs() will find nothing. Another problem that we noticed is that, sometimes, if you don't put some delay between the calls to pcap_compile() within pcap_finalldevs() it will crash...

Abdel.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.