tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: How does packet capture interact with

From: Aaron Turner <synfinatic () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 13:03:50 -0700

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Robert Burgess
<burgess () systems cs cornell edu> wrote:
As long as the destination IP address of the packets are not of the
firewall then you shouldn't need a host-based firewall to drop the
packets.

It still has to drop them, though---I think---because I don't want the
packets forwarded on until I say so.

Assuming you do the forwarding in user space (ala tcpbridge) with
libpcap then it won't be a problem.  If you're doing the forwarding in
the kernel, then you've got a big problem since by the time you read
the packet via libpcap, chances are the kernel has already forwarded
it on.

Also, I forgot to mention that on some platforms, libpcap supports
only sniffing packets going a certain direction (in our out the
interface).  You should use that API when possible as it will improve
performance a good deal.

That's pcap_setdirection, yes?  Thanks!

yep.

--