tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: How does packet capture interact with firewalls?

From: Robert Burgess <burgess () systems cs cornell edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 17:39:20 -0400

Or you could consider not using pcap at all. I don't know what your
application is but it's possible you could accomplish it just by
receiving and sending on raw IP sockets. That's also quite portable.

Thanks for this suggestion!  I read a bunch of documentation claiming
it was actually highly nonportable to scare people off, but I was never
totally clear on what features weren't portable.  I will try this approach
and see if it is simpler for this application.  I am, of course, also
still open to other suggestions.

Robert.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.