tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [Fwd: Re: Thread Safe Lexer]

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 12:47:50 -0700

On Jul 1, 2009, at 12:04 PM, Behdad Forghani wrote:

Gianluca asked me to forward this to the mailing list. During Sharkfest09 he had mentioned that Winpcap cannot is not re-entrant and thread-safe because Lex uses global variables. As you can see, one solution to this is to use re2c for lexing and lemon for parsing. The link to re2c is:
http://re2c.org/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/re2c/

Newer versions of Flex can, I think, also generate reentrant C lexers, but that would also require installing a new version of Flex on some systems, so we'd have to require that you install additional tools on some machines in either case.

Wireshark already uses lemon for its display filter parser - it includes lemon source in its source tree, so it doesn't require that you install it.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.