tcpdump mailing list archives

How to use specific protocol filters in pcap programming

From: Javier Gálvez Guerrero <javier.galvez.guerrero () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:26:17 +0200

Hi there,

I'm trying to catch DHCP Requests/ACK and IEEE 802.11Probe Requests and
Association ACK packets in a custom C program using libpcap but I'm facing
some problems when applying filter chains different than simple ones like
'ether dst X' or 'port Y'. I would like to know what should I do in order to
properly get packets with libpcap that Wireshark show me when issuing filter
chains like:

bootp.option.value == 03
wlan.fc.type_subtype == 0x04

If I use a filter like the previous ones I get a filter compiling error in
'pcap_compile(descr, &fp, filter, 0, netp)', so I would like to know how to
get the same information with a pcap/tcpdump-compliant filter. Any idea
about how I could do it?

BTW, in order to get packets with an interface in monitor mode, should I
enter any special configuration in my libpcap application? What about
pcap_lookupnet(...)?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Javi