tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: From pcap_filter manual...

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 00:58:11 -0700

On Apr 27, 2009, at 8:19 PM, Eddie Harari wrote:

BUGS section:
" Filter expressions on fields other than those in 802.11 headers will not correctly handle 802.11 data packets with both To DS and From DS
 set."

is this only for libpcap programmers  ? or also tcpdump users ?

tcpdump uses libpcap for its capture filtering, so it applies to tcpdump users.

I have same program that basically sets a filter and sniff the network for
packets after that...
what i see as a behavior is the following:

Network A -> program runs with no problems. (AP is Edimax..ED.).
Network B -> program runs ( on same machine), but the filter does not seem
to work. if i set the filter to something very very simple such as
filter="icmp" it does not seems to show me any packet ( not even 1 ) , but if i use tcpdump command with the same filter on the same network device,
it does show me the packets.

Either:

        1) there's a bug in the program

or

2) perhaps the program is using a different version of libpcap from the one tcpdump uses.

We'd need to see the source to the program - or, at least, the parts that use libpcap - to determine whether there's a bug in it or not.

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.