tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Injecting pcap files

From: Aaron Turner <synfinatic () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 13:10:25 -0800

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Eloy Paris <peloy () chapus net> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 04:12:20PM +0530, Vipin M wrote:

Hi all,

I need some guidance in some coding.

My object is sniff and store a pcap file in wireless. Then play back that to
air as i required.

I know how to sniff and store to a pcap file.

I had look in to* *pcap_open_offline() function for opening a file,
pcap_open_live() for opening a interface and pcap_inject() to inject.

I couldn't find how to transfer the open file to inject function. And also
how i can used the new radiotape for wireless with this.

I had a look at
http://penumbra.warmcat.com/_twk/tiki-index.php?page=packetspammer this code
but in this the whole packet is generated in code.

if there is any tool already do this job please give me the link.

Have you looked at tcpreplay? Maybe it already does what you need...

Replaying traffic onto a wireless network is unfortunately a lot
harder then it should be.  From what I can tell, it seems to be
NIC/driver dependent and hence I've pretty much punted on this for
tcpreplay.  Many combinations appear not possible. What I would
recommend you look at is lorcon or libradiate to actually inject
frames onto 802.11 networks.

Maybe one of these days I'll use lorcon in tcpreplay, but my access to
hardware is limited so testing tends to be a problem.

--
Aaron Turner
http://synfin.net/