tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Request for DECT LINKTYPE

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 16:00:50 -0800

On Dec 22, 2008, at 1:18 PM, Matthias Wenzel wrote:

Guy Harris wrote:

So DECT and DECT 6.0 are close enough that they can use
LINKTYPE_DECT/DLT_DECT?

Yes. DECT has 10 radio channels, DECT 6.0 has 5, they all fit into one
0-63 channel table scheme in ETSI EN 300 175-2, Annex F (mostly
unlicensed channels).

So what would the data in the packet start with? Would these be MAC- layer messages (possibly with some metadata)?

And is "US-DECT" a US-specific scheme?

   http://www.dectweb.com/LearningZone/WDCTTech.htm

claims that the "W" in "WDCT" is "Worldwide", but also claims that it's
US-specific.  (BTW, does "US" in this context mean "US and Canada" or
"North America" rather than just the US?)

I cannot say what countries are covered by WDCT other than the US. Also
this standard is not part of our work. I just wanted to mention that
there's another variant out there, and you may want to keep them as
"neighbours" in the #define LINKTYPE_* set.

So perhaps I'll just call it WDCT (that's what Siemens appears to call it, and they appear to be the ones who developed it), hence LINKTYPE_WDCT/DLT_WDCT.

Are there any published specifications for it, or is that only specified in internal Siemens documentation?
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.