tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [BUG] pcap-usb-linux.c

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 12:10:58 -0800

On Oct 29, 2008, at 7:38 PM, Jean-Louis wrote:

in accordance with usbmon.txt in "mmap mode" the data is at

&mmap_area[vec[i]] + 64;

rather than

&mmap_area[vec[i]] + 48;

with mmap ther'is 16Byte filled with 0 first to the real data...

so if i.e. I have caplen = 18Byte, in file.pcap I have 16Byte with garbage (0x00) and only 2Byte with real data other 16Byte of real data is lost.

the mmap mode is *default* with kernel >= 2.6.25-rc8-mm1

I'm newbie with libpcap and I don't know how I can fix that without degrading performance

The only way to fix that without doing a lot of copying would be to add a new DLT_ value for Linux mmapped access, with the USB header defined to include the padding (and change apps that handle USB captures to handle the new DLT_ value). -
This is the tcpdump-workers list.