tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: libpcap & poll()

From: "Aaron Turner" <synfinatic () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 19:48:21 -0800

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Eloy Paris <peloy () chapus net> wrote:
[snip]
One possible reason for high CPU when using poll() or select() is
spurious readiness notifications - in this case the program is not
sleeping waiting for data but is instead running, causing high CPU.

Both the poll() and select() manual pages on Linux have the following
comment:

"Under Linux, select() may report a socket file descriptor as "ready
for reading", while nevertheless a subsequent read blocks. This could
for example happen when data has arrived but upon examination has wrong
checksum and is discarded. There may be other circumstances in which a
file descriptor is spuriously reported as ready. Thus it may be safer to
use O_NONBLOCK on sockets that should not block."

Interesting.  Since most of my development work is on OS X, I didn't
notice that.

This has never been an issue for me although you could look into it.
This could cause high CPU only if you call pcap_setnonblock() for the
packet capture descriptors, and you experience the problem described
above, though.

Have you recreated the issue that the end-user reports? A very basic and
simple troubleshooting technique that has always been very helpful for
me is putting a "printf("select() returned %d\n", retval");" after a
"retval = select(...)" (in your case poll() ) call. You could tell your
user to do that to see how often you're coming back from poll().

If the network is pretty busy and there's lots of data to be read from
the packet capture descriptors then high CPU is obviously expected. has
the user indicated how busy the network is?

I did ask him about that.  Says traffic is ~400Mbps, but I support
(and he's using) a BPF filter to only grab a very small subset of that
(less then 1Mbps).   He says tcpdump runs with much less CPU load so I
don't think it's a traffic issue.

One unfortunate issue my application has is that since it  sends &
receives traffic on an interface, every packet I send I usually end up
reading.  I know some OS's support pcap_setdirection() which helps,
but last time I checked I don't think Linux is one of them since
libpcap uses PF_PACKET on the back end.  Still, we're talking about
less then 2Mbps of traffic which shouldn't cause 100% CPU utilization.

--
Aaron Turner
http://synfin.net/