tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump thanks and wishlist

From: "Alan McKay" <alan.mckay () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:00:20 -0400

Bless you all ... seems I can already do what I want with the -z option!

 I have one fairly minor wishlist item for your consideration.

 When using the -C option to chunk-up files in to given sizes (I used
 16Meg), how about instead of appending an incremental number to the
 end of each new file, that we instead append a date and time to the
 file name?   If and when doing so, please be sure to use Y2K compliant
 international date format.

 e.g.

 basename_2008.04.18_10:38:14

 I know that the files will have time stamps, but as soon as they get
 copied the wrong way, those could disappear.   This will make it much
 easier when looking at a glance what file is required.

 thanks,
 -Alan

 --
 "I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends"
  - Abraham Lincoln

--
"I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends"
 - Abraham Lincoln
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.