tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Running multiple instances of tcpdump

From: Rick Jones <rick.jones2 () hp com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 12:19:37 -0800

Because HP-UX doesn't support more than one process putting a particular interface into promiscuous mode at a time, so you can't have two instances of tcpdump (or any other application using promiscuous mode) running on the same interface at the same time.

I am reliably informed that this limitation is relaxed in 11iv3 (aka 11.31) with the installation of patch PHNE_36857 which was released in December of 2007. I have no information on that being back-ported to 11iv2 or 11iv1 and would assume it would be based entirely on demand made known through official channels.

rick jones
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.