tcpdump mailing list archives

Running multiple instances of tcpdump

From: "Ravindranath, Chavalam" <chavalam.ravindranath () hp com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 15:31:31 +0530

Hi,

I have built tcpdump on hpux platform, created and installed the depot.

When I tried a single instance of tcpdump, it worked fine, and I don't
even have to specify the interface I want to monitor.
When I left this first instance running and started another one, I got
the message "tcpdump: no suitable device found". According to the
information that I found on the Internet, this means that I need to
specify the interface (why would it be required on the second instance).
So I tried to specify the interface (lan0) and got a different message
"tcpdump: recv_ack: promisc_phys: UNIX error - Invalid argument". Can
you tell me why it worked like that?

These are the configure options I  used to build

 ./configure --prefix=/opt/iexpress/tcpdump --enable-ipv6
--without-crypto

Do I need to add any other configure option to run multiple instances of
tcpdump.

Thanks & Regards,
Ravindranath
-