tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Changes to the web-page

From: "Gianluca Varenni" <gianluca.varenni () cacetech com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 16:35:54 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Luis Martin" <luis.mgarc () gmail com>
To: <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 3:21 PM
Subject: [tcpdump-workers] Changes to the web-page

Hi

As Gianluca pointed out, the web page has certainly some things that
need to be changed or improved.

I think the web is currently a mess so I have made a few changes:

-> All sections were restructured.

-> Added section "Contents"

-> Clean up of section "Documentation" + 1 tutorial added: "Tcpdump filters"

-> Releases have been divided into 3 sections: "Latest release, Older
releases and Current Development release". Apparently the dailies and
the weeklies are not being created correctly so I've temporarily
commented out section "Current tar files"

I would probably get rid of the old releases, putting them in an archive folder (like I do for WinPcap). Also, I would rename the "TCPDUMP 3.9 / LIBPCAP 0.9" section specifying the specific version 3.9.8/0.9.8. (The current title is kinda confusing for me).

-> Clean up of section Mailing lists. I've added the correct link for
the web interface, referenced gmane as the source for recent messages
and referenced the archives for old messages (archives don't work
anymore for recent messages).

Would it be possible to fix such archives?

-> Added section "Patches, Bug Reports and Feature Requests", where the
visitor is pointed to the resources at Sourceforge.

Who gets notified about bug reports on sourceforge? the notifications don't seem to reach the mailing list, so it looks like the bugs report on sourceforge is a sort of black hole...

Have a nice day
GV

-> Clean up of underlying dirty HTML code.

-> Changed title from "TCPDUMP public repository" to "TCPDUMP/LIBPCAP
public repository"

The new version can be accessed at http://www.tcpdump.org/index2.html
Please let me know what you think. If everyone is OK with the changes
I'll swap the current with this one.

Luis.

Gianluca Varenni wrote:
At the risk of being annoying, before going out with the great and
mighty libpcap 1.0, would it be possible to fix the website?

"Mailing lists" section
- the archive at http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/ is broken (it
stops in dec2006 and even the 2006 links are broken)
- the link to the mailing lists web interfaces is broken
(https://lists.sandelman.ca/)

"Current tar files" section
- the "current" tgz files are empty.
- the dailies are again empty files
- all the recent weeklies (I would say from august 2007 on) are empty
files.

Have a nice day
GV

-