tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Request for a DLT code for IPMB packet

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:00:56 -0700

On Aug 13, 2007, at 11:45 AM, Toeung, Chanthy wrote:

So presumably the first byte of the packet data will be the slave address, followed by the netFn and LUN, followed by the checksum, etc.?

yes. It is correct.

OK, DLT_IPMB has been assigned the value 199.

Capture type, or DLT_ type?

I need DLT_ type. I already develop the code for the package by using the DLT_USR14 for this packet. Actually, i know that pcap*.c doesn't support I2C. So i have also build a "Capture engine" to catch raw data from I2C, then save it in a file under hexdump format. After that i will use text2pcap to transfrom this file into pcap file format, then it can be open with Wireshark.

Actually, it might be easier just to save it in libpcap format, using, for example, the pcap_dump routines in libpcap.

You might also be able to put that capture engine into libpcap, so Wireshark, for example, could do the capturing directly.

See, for example, the Linux Bluetooth and USB capture devices for
examples. Unfortunately, there's no "how to add a new type of capture device" documentation - and the interface for that will probably change
at some point.

where can i find the example of USB capture devices ?

In the "current tar" version of libpcap, see "pcap-usb-linux.c" and "pcap-usb-linux.h".
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.