tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Odd behaviour under Linux 2.6.21

From: "Gianluca Varenni" <gianluca.varenni () cacetech com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 23:10:52 -0700

I guess it's some sort of TCP offloading done at the board level. The driver sends big frames (>1500bytes) to the NIC card, and the NIC card is responsible from creating smaller segments that are sent over the wire. I've seen a similar behavior on Windows with some gigabit network cards (if i remember well at least with some broadcom chipsets).

In this case libpcap, like any other software capture engine, captures what is passed to the NIC, so it was capture the big frames instead of what's actually transmitted on the wire.

Hope it helps
GV

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Healy" <jhealy () swin edu au>