tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: How to set my device name with

From: "Guy Harris" <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:53:16 -0700 (PDT)

Varuna De Silva wrote:

Next I removed the following part from the above code, and the build
succeeded.
if (pcap_add_if(alldevsp, "any", 0, any_descr, errbuf) < 0)
        return (-1);

Is this process acceptable of me removing the above part?

Yes.  That code is specific to Linux, which has a way in which a single
descriptor can be used to capture on all the machine's network interfaces;
the "any" device lets you use that from tcpdump/Wireshark/etc..  Windows
doesn't have that in NDIS, as far as I know (I think you have to bind to a
particular NDIS device), so the WinPcap driver can't provide that.

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.