tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: DLT for Radiotap+WiMAX?

From: David Young <dyoung () pobox com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 14:55:22 -0500

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 02:20:42PM -0400, Charles Clancy wrote:
I need a metadata header for WiMAX common-part sublayer.  I see that
802.16 CPS has a DLT already allocated, which is a good start.

It seemed logical to extend the Radiotap header with some WiMAX-specific
fields, and reuse much of the existing infrastructure, however the
Radiotap header has no way of specifying the type of packet it's
encapsulating.  To solve this conundrum, there are a few options:

1. Allocate another DLT specifically for Radiotap+WiMAX

Charles,

I think #1 is reasonable.  That is the way 802.11 works.  That is,
the DLT influences the interpretation of the bytes after the radiotap
header in a radiotap+802.11 frame.

A second alternative is to add a radiotap field that tells the type of
the packet that radiotap encapsulates.  I am not so fond of the idea.

Be sure to join the radiotap list,
<http://che.ojctech.com/mailman/listinfo/radiotap>.  That's the place
to pitch WiMAX extensions.

Dave

--
dyoung () ojctech com      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933
-