tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: DLT-Value request for IEEE 802.15.4 lrwpan

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 10:08:46 -0700

Mikko Saarnivala wrote:

The first problem is that I noticed that the DLT_IEEE802_15_4_LINUX was just assigned but it is for these packets which have address fields padded. Should I request for a new DLT value to be assigned?

If the headers you'll be supplied are completely unmodified 802.15.4 headers, exactly as described in the 802.15.4 spec, yes, you should request a new DLT_IEEE802_15_4 value.

The second problem is that I have only access to hardware from the company that I work for (802.15.4 radiochip + MCU on a PCB connected to PC using RS232). The interface is unique to our devices (although it is completely open as all of our SW is GPL). The way I understand how the libpcap works is that this unique interface won't be a problem if I follow the instructions e.g. in <URL:http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html/#ChapterCapture>. Does this sound reasonable?

Yes. As that chapter indicates, see how, for example, it's done in pcap-linux.c for DAG cards. You'd modify the pcap-XXX.c files that would be used on the operating system or operating systems on which your software runs.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.