tcpdump mailing list archives

DLT-Value request for IEEE 802.15.4 lrwpan (no padded addresses)

From: Mikko Saarnivala <mikko.saarnivala () sensinode com>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 14:36:25 +0300

Hello,

I just started on adding a support for 802.15.4-2006 standard compliant packets for libpcap and intend to make it available if 1) I manage to make it work properly and 2) it is accepted to be part of the codebase

I would however need the advice of more experienced libpcap developers before continuing my work.

The first problem is that I noticed that the DLT_IEEE802_15_4_LINUX was just assigned but it is for these packets which have address fields padded. Should I request for a new DLT value to be assigned?

The second problem is that I have only access to hardware from the company that I work for (802.15.4 radiochip + MCU on a PCB connected to PC using RS232). The interface is unique to our devices (although it is completely open as all of our SW is GPL). The way I understand how the libpcap works is that this unique interface won't be a problem if I follow the instructions e.g. in <URL:http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html/#ChapterCapture>. Does this sound reasonable?

Best regards,

--
Mr. Mikko Saarnivala
email:mikko.saarnivala {AT} sensinode.com