tcpdump mailing list archives

Packet arrival order

From: Ury Segal <ury_segal () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 17:52:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I am running a local pcap application on a
Solaris
host, capturing only packets going to and from a
specific interface. Sometimes I see several
packets coming in, in a row, and then several
packets going out, in a row, from that interface.

However, I know (from the content of the packets
and the request/reply nature  of the application
sending them) that the packets have not arrived
(and were not sent) in such "clusters", but they
were originally interleaved.

In realty, a request packet comes in, a reply
packet goes out, and so the process goes. But
libpcap sends them "clustered" - all packets
coming in and then all packets going out.

I assume libpcap doesn't change the order of the
packets it gets from the kernel, and it is the
kernel that "clusters" the packets.

Is there any way to force Solaris to send
captured
packets to libpcap in the same order they were
sent/received?

Thank you

--ury
-