tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: pcap_next() caplen is off by 14 bytes (L2 len)

From: Ken Bantoft <ken () xelerance com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 08:20:43 -0400

Re: 0.9.6 - this week.. we hit the 6 month part 2 weeks back... so I'm going to start writing all the ChangeLog/Notes, and get it shipped.

Ken

On 2-Apr-07, at 1:35 AM, Aaron Turner wrote:

On 4/1/07, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

I've checked into the main and x.9 branches a change that sets the
pcap_t's snaplen value to 14 more than the value from the file header if the capture was an Ethernet capture with the modified libpcap (based on
the magic number).  This isn't ideal - I'd like to do it only if the
capture was done in cooked mode - but there's no easy way to determine whether it was a cooked-mode capture or not, so, while that means that a raw-mode Ethernet capture will appear to have a snapshot length 14 more
than the real snapshot, that's probably the best we can do.  That
modified libpcap hasn't, as far as I know, been in any Linux
distribution for a while, so there shouldn't be many *more* of those
files showing up.

Thanks for looking into this more and coming up with a fix.  Is there
an ETA for 0.9.6 (which I assume will have this fix?)

Thanks,
Aaron
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.