tcpdump mailing list archives

why not filtering at driver level ?

From: madhuresh <madhurag () iitk ac in>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 23:44:12 +0530

Hi,

I am just anxious to know that why we do filtering of packets at user space and not at driver level (kernel space). What if libpcap can communicate the filter options to the driver under consideration which will then transfer, only the filtered packets to a new interface say ABC0. Then libpcap can read these filtered packets from ABC0 and can directly transfer to tcpdump for parsing.

This will save lots of bytes to be transferred from kernel to user space, which indeed is a costly operation.

One major issue is that driver has to still pass the packets (which dont satisfy filter options) to kernel as other applications might be waiting for these packets.

So is it possible to transfer only filtered packets to the libpcap under the constraint of above statement ? How ?

Please answer.

Thanks

-Madhuresh

-