tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: pcap files with file header snaplen < packet

From: "Aaron Turner" <synfinatic () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:34:24 -0800

On 2006-12-01 01:28, Guy Harris wrote:
> On Nov 30, 2006, at 1:08 PM, Aaron Turner wrote:
>> Unfortunately, I don't know where or how these pcap files were
>> generated, so I don't know what's causing this to happen or how
>> widespread it is.  Could this of been a bug in earlier versions of
>> libpcap??
>
> I don't know - it might have come from some vendor-"improved" version of
> libpcap, or the bug might have been in the underlying packet capture
> mechanism that libpcap used on whatever platform the packet was
> captured, or it might have been written by something other than libpcap.

Is it possible they were the result of combining multiple pcaps via
something like mergecap?

I suppose anything is possible... however the most recent example of
this only had a single packet in the file.  Unfortunately, since I'm
getting access to the files via 3rd parties, it's nearly impossible
for me to say how or where these files came from.

-Aaron
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.