tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: pcap files with file header snaplen < packet header caplen

From: "Aaron Turner" <synfinatic () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:32:08 -0800

On 11/30/06, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

I'd suggest writing a small program to fix the snapshot length in
those captures.  It could, for example, scan through the file, find
the maximum caplen, and then open the file for writing and write out
the maximum of the snaplen value and the maximum caplen, in the right
byte order, in the snaplen field.

Yeah, definitely doable.   Is there a way to detect this situation via
libpcap?  I'd like to gracefully handle this issue rather then expect
my users to notice that things aren't right.

--
Aaron Turner
http://synfin.net/