tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Packet Transmission on AIX 5.x

From: "Naveen N Rao" <naveen.n.rao () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 15:52:52 +0530

On 7/31/06, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

Naveen N Rao wrote:

> I am trying to get packet transmission working using pcap_inject() on
AIX
> 5.3. I haven't had any success using BPF and DLPI. With BPF, I get
"send:
> Error 0"

That could either mean that the transmission worked but -1 was bogusly
returned, or that the transmission failed but AIX's BPF code didn't
bother indicating why.  Does the packet appear on the network?  If so,
it might be that AIX's BPF doesn't support sending packets.

The packet doesn't appear on the network.

>  while DLPI just says that this is an unsupported OS.

We haven't written any code to support that.  DLPI has other problems if
you try to capture packets with it, so it's not the preferred mechanism.
It is, however, documented on AIX, as far as I know, unlike AIX's BPF;
you might want to try implementing packet transmission using DLPI.

Could you elaborate on the problems DLPI has with capturing packets?

At this stage, it looks like we don't have the capability to transmit
packets using libpcap. DLPI support is lacking while BPF fails with a weird
error. What would be the best way to proceed?
Thanks,
Naveen

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.