tcpdump mailing list archives

AIX 5.3, libpcap aix0.8: multiple processes break filter

From: Jonathan Gruenhut <jonathan () zetapoint com>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 18:14:33 +0200

I have a C program that runs on AIX 5.3 and uses the libpcap library. (I should add that this program is basically cross-platform, and is designed to run on Solaris and Linux as well. The Solaris and Linux programs do not have the problems that I'm describing.)

I use a capture filter to accept only TCP packets from a particular port, using pcap_compile and pcap_setfilter. When I have only one process running, this works fine.

However, when I try to run a second process (from a different terminal window), to listen on a different TCP port, the first process I ran lets through all TCP traffic, on all ports. Stopping the second process does not let the first one revert to its original filtering, but it continues to let through all packets.

Similarly, when I run a third process, the second one's filter breaks in the same way.

This behavior is not unique to my own application; I get the same behavior simply using tcpdump (version aix3.8 with libpcap version aix0.8).

I have to admit I'm completely baffled. Web searching (and the Ethereal archives) showed me that libpcap on AIX is somewhat eccentric, but unfortunately I couldn't find anything touching on my problem.

Any and all help/hints/pointers are appreciated!  Thanks.

Jonathan Gruenhut
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.