tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: How to use "pcap" on a router ???

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 12:16:32 -0700

kashif wrote:

I have configured my PC running RedHat Linux 9.0 into a router by
turning on the ip_forwarding facility of it. It got TWO LAN cards...and if i
run two instances of *pcap* one for each LAN card for capturing
packets, it works fine....But i intend writing an application wherein
i need the
information captured by both the instances..I mean if i want to
capture packets from both the LAN cards simultaneously in one
application..

As this is Linux, the "any" device is supported by libpcap; it leaves the PF_PACKET socket unbound, so that packets from all interfaces are delivered to it. You don't get raw packet headers when capturing with the "any" device, but you might not need that.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.