tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: How to use "pcap" on a router ???

From: Ury Segal <ury_segal () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 23:43:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!

I'd prefer calling "pcap_open_live()" twice,
set the appropriate filters (which may be
different), call "get_selectable_fd()" on each
pcap_t, and then use select() to pick up packets
from any interface that may have some ready. That

way I don't have to deal with threads.

However on some situations you'd have to use
threads. For example, if you have a lot of
processing done per-packet and you want to take
advantage of a multi-CPU machine.

--- kashif <kashifj () gmail com> wrote:

Dear,

I have configured my PC running RedHat Linux
9.0 into a router by
turning on the ip_forwarding facility of it. It
got TWO LAN cards...and if i
run two instances of *pcap* one for each LAN
card for capturing
packets, it works fine....But i intend writing
an application wherein
i need the
information captured by both the instances..I
mean if i want to
capture packets from both the LAN cards
simultaneously in one
application..should i use threading to