tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Problems with libpcap and C++

From: Mike Kershaw <dragorn () nerv-un net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:43:27 -0400

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 04:48:02PM +0200, David Rosal wrote:
I'm writing a packet sniffer in C++ using libpcap-0.9.4.

I've tried to use a class function member as a callback for
pcap_loop(), but the compiler complains that arguments don't
match. The code is something like this (I have simplified it):

8<-----------------------------

class X
{
      public:
      // This is the callback, defined below
      void dumper(u_char *u, const struct pcap_pkthdr *h,
              const u_char *p);
};

To pass a C++ member function as a callback it must be static, or you
must have mechanisms to allow you to pass an instantiated object as
well.

-m

--
Mike Kershaw/Dragorn <dragorn () kismetwireless net>
GPG Fingerprint: 3546 89DF 3C9D ED80 3381  A661 D7B2 8822 738B BDB1

"Yes, yes, LORD OF HUMANS!  I will rule you ALL with an iron fist!  YOU!
OBEY THE FIST!"
      -- Invader Zim