tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Multi process sniffing and dropped packets

From: Rick Jones <rick.jones2 () hp com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:11:58 -0800

I would choose threads but my "boss" prefers processes; he said computation
parallelizing mechanism (in his cluster) don't work well with threads as it
does with processes; i don't know if is true, now i'll implement my software
with processes and then with posix threads; so i'll "taste" performance
differences.

_Clusters_?!?  That is a rather important detail...

Somehow I seriously doubt that a libpcap application can span nodes in a computational cluster. At least not the stuff doing the promiscuous mode bits.

rick jones
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.