tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Multi process sniffing and dropped packets

From: Rick Jones <rick.jones2 () hp com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:09:15 -0800

computational_complex-forthespam () yahoo it wrote:
Hi people!
I'm writing a sniffer with libpcap 0.9.3 that gets
packets and makes some cpu-intensive work with those.
I want to use a multi process architecture (rather
than a multi thread one) because i want to distribute
work on multiple processor; so i thought two way to do
this:

Do you really have to do the cpu intensive work on those packets in real time?

Why don't you want to use threads to distribute work across the CPUs?

Specifically, on _which_ platform do you want to do this?

rick jones
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.