tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: dealing with collisions, dropped packets

From: Aaron Turner <aturner () pobox com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 12:19:48 -0800

A few comments:

1) I doubt that collisions are the cause.  A collision will actually
prevent tcpdump from seeing the packet and reduce the throughput of the
network, thus tcpdump should drop fewer packets.

2) You can check the number of collisions on most Unix/Linux boxes using
ifconfig.  You'll see a collisions counter which will increment over
time.  Other errors and statistics are also available.

Regards,
Aaron