tcpdump mailing list archives

dealing with collisions, dropped packets

From: "Matt Van Mater" <nutter_ () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 15:01:46 -0500

Hi all,

Recently I've been investigating why tcpdump on my IDS shows quite a few packets as being dropped. I think this is because my traffic to the IDS is fed through a hub where I know there are many collisions (there may be too many packets per second for the little soho 10/100 hub to handle). I'm not sure how tcpdump handles collisions, and so I don't know if this is even a problem or not.

Is there a way to get more fine grained statistics on why packets are dropped, and would collisions coming in off a hub be shown as dropped? I'm seeing a traffic feed of roughly 4000-5000 packets per second and about 1000 collisions per minute, so I don't think that the rate of traffic is the cause of my problem.

If the dropped packets being displayed are just the collisions from the hub then it's no big deal, but if it's something else I'd like to try and fix it of course.

Thanks,
Matt

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.