tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: nanosecond timestamp

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:23:53 +1100 (EST)

In some email I received from Guy Harris, sie wrote:

On Dec 9, 2004, at 2:08 PM, Darren Reed wrote:

In some email I received from Guy Harris, sie wrote:
BTW, where are you getting the nanosecond-resolution time stamps in
Solaris?

gethrtime

That says what the high-resolution time counter's value is now, not
what the value was when bufmod saw the packet (which raises another
issue, namely that the time stamps you get out of libpcap might have
nanosecond *precision* but they might not have nanosecond *accuracy*) -
or are the packets in question not being captured by libpcap, so that
you can use "gethrtime()" to time stamp packets reasonably close to the
time t which they arrived?

I think that whether it is bufmod or a program that generates a time
stamp, it is still a software timestamp and sometime after the actual
packet "arrived".

So what am I trying to say here?  Unless you have hardware timestamps
in captured packets, one software timestamp is as good as the next in
a well written application.

Darren
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.