tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: anoncvs for tcpdump.org.

From: Karsten Keil <kkeil () suse de>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 18:36:58 +0200

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 11:01:13AM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:

"Hannes" == Hannes Gredler <hannes () juniper net> writes:
    Hannes> correct, michael requires you to have a valid PTR entry ...
    Hannes> assume at your employer there must be some workstation with
    Hannes> a valid PTR entry ;-)

  Here is the problem.

  a) someone/something connects to anon-cvs, disconnects the socket
     (so I don't see anything in netstat), and then seems to leave
     a dozen cvs-pserver's R-unning, consuming 99% CPU.

  b) I then set up hosts.allow to permit only people who wanted to
     connect to do so.

     However, cvs.tcpdump.org is an alias on the machine, not its
     primary IP, and this seems to upset NetBSD (1.6)
     hosts.allow/libwrap/inetd.

     {It is libwrap that wants a valid forward/reverse PTR}

     I haven't had time to debug through this and determine if this
     is a real problem, or what.

     I guess, if you do anon-cvs to lox.sandelman.ca, it may work.

Hmm this also do not work.

kkeil@kalman:~> cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs () lox sandelman ca:/tcpdump/master login
Logging in to :pserver:anoncvs () lox sandelman ca:2401/tcpdump/master
CVS password:
cvs [login aborted]: connect to lox.sandelman.ca(205.150.200.178):2401 failed: No route to host

Please add 195.135.221.2  (charybdis-ext.suse.de) to allowed hosts.
Thank you.

--
Karsten Keil
SuSE Labs