tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: proposed new pcap format

From: Richard Sharpe <rsharpe () richardsharpe com>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 01:42:48 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Guy Harris wrote:

On Mar 25, 2004, at 9:31 AM, Richard Sharpe wrote:

One of the items I would like support for in a new format is comments.
That is, the ability to add textual comments to frames. These comments
would be ignored by tools that do not understand them, but they would
be
displayed by tools capable of understanding them.

Would all comments necessarily be associated with frames?

One counter-example would be a comment associated with the capture as a
whole (I think the old DOS Sniffer format supported that).

Hmmm, that is a good point ...

Regards
-----

-