tcpdump mailing list archives

List management

From: Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata () noaa gov>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:13:54 -0400

Noise to get past repost filters.

Okay this is getting ridiculous. I just tried to post the below information, and it came back stalled with some nonsense about "GLOBAL ADMIN BODY" matching various stupid regexes. I've added a hyphens in a few places throughout in an ATTEMPT to get past this. We'll see. It's a good thing I know how to read regexes or you can bet I wouldn't be able to post this at all. Apparently, you aren't allowed to post anything with any word that begins with the letters u, n, s, or has the word c-h-a-n-g-e followed by the word a-d-d-r-e-s-s.

So I was posting the below just to say, hey, the new list is a little weird, and maybe a few things need fixing, but at this point I'm pretty pissed off at the waste of time and I'd like to say:

    The posting semantics of the new list SUCK, and SUCK BADLY.

Here's what I originally wrote:

Just a couple of observations about management of the new tcpdump-workers list:

When the list switched hosts, my subscribed address from the old list was automatically added to the new list. This address was an alias, however, and the new list wouldn't accept mail from un-subscribed addresses (the old list did). So I couldn't post from my canonical address, which was a pain.

So I used the subscriber admin widget to modify my subscribed ad-dress from the old alias to the canonical one. I could finally post, after getting past various other repost rejections.

The next day, the list admin noticed discrepancies in the membership and re-added a lot of addresses, including my old alias. So now I was getting two copies of everything.

Last night I unregistered my old alias so I would get only one copy of list messages. Inexplicably, my canonical address got unregistered as well.

So I re-registered the canonical address. Meanwhile, I went to check the list archive to see if I had missed anything, since I'm in the middle of a discussion.

Only, guess what -- I can't find any archive. The only archive listed on tcpdump.org stops at December 2003. There's no apparent digest on lists.tcpdump.org.

So now I have these questions:

- Is the list still being archived? If so, where?

- Why does the tcpdump.org site still list the mailing list address as <tcpdump-workers () tcpdump org>? I wonder how many people are still trying to post to the old address...

- Why does the list set Reply-To: to <tcpdump-workers () lists sandelman ca> instead of <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>?

- What's with the weird regex restrictions on postings?

--
Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata () noaa gov>
NOAA Computer Incident Response Team (N-CIRT) <ncirt () noaa gov>

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.