tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: OpenBSD work on Tcpdump privilege separation

From: Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata () noaa gov>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 04:42:26 -0500

Pekka Savola wrote:
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Pekka Savola wrote:
The current tcpdump just drops privileges before pretty much anything is done. Now looking at the code, maybe the privilege separation could be done even slightly earlier in the "pcap_open_live" branch, e.g., after pcap_open_live, but I haven't tested this. I guess it depends on whether pcap_set_datalink, pcap_snapshot (this one might be dangerous with root!) or pcap_lookupnet requires root privileges.

This might be worth experimenting with.

Ok, I've tested that this works at least with Linux. The attached patch moves dropping privileges a bit earlier.

Isn't all that stuff just for running tcpdump setuid? Am I missing something? I though someone was talking about privilege separation.

You know after all that discussion on this topic last month, Andrew Pimlott came up with a patch to do a chroot/setuid that no one has commented on, AFAIK. Maybe it's worth looking at...?

--
Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata () noaa gov>
NOAA Computer Incident Response Team (N-CIRT) <ncirt () noaa gov>

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html