tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: packet modification

From: Craig Davison <craig () darkcalgary com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 23:42:18 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, John Fastabend wrote:

[...] and the other was to use  iptables to drop
them and since libpcap captures them before iptables drops them you can
retransmit the packets.  I cant remember the name of the library to
interact with iptables but if you need it email me offline and i'll look
it up, i'm in class right now.  And if you find a better way let me know.

With netfilter (iptables), all packets with a target of QUEUE are queued
by the kernel. You can grab packets from the queue into userspace with a
library called libipq, manipulate them however you want, and pass back a
verdict of ACCEPT or DROP.
libipq comes with iptables. The only good documentation I know of is the
libipq man page. There's also a netfilter-devel mailing list.

Mr. Abbad is using OpenBSD so this Linux-specific information will be of
limited use to him. The only equivalent feature I know of for a BSD
is 'divert' sockets in FreeBSD (ipfw 'divert' rule).

Anyway, this is all off-topic for this list.
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe