tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: pcap_compile() errors in libpcap beta and CVS

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:04:39 -0800

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 09:00:39AM -0500, George Bakos wrote:
It would appear that this is due to a change in optimize.c, as of the 1.73
checkin. In opt_peep(b), using a continue statement, rather than a break,
causes over-optimization in certain cases. It is possible, however I can't
see when, that the following backout patch may lead to less optimization.
Comments?

I've been looking at this - there is, I think, an optimizer bug
elsewhere, and his change might merely have exposed that bug.  I haven't
tracked it down yet, however.  (It's converting the "false" branch of
one jeq to go to the "ret #0" when it shouldn't be.  This might also be
the cause of a bug in the libpcap bug database on SourceForge.)

His changes fix some other problems: