tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: packet drops and zero copy filtering?

From: Richard Sharpe <rsharpe () richardsharpe com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 00:58:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Ben Greear wrote:

Richard Sharpe wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Ben Greear wrote:

Seems you cannot use sendfile when reading from a socket, so can't
capture like this.  It will definately need a kernel module.

Well, the first poster's question does not make any sense, but it does not
seem to me that the claim that you can't use sendfile when reading from a
socket makes any sense either. I thought Linux's sendfile was symmetric in
that regard, unlike, say, sendfile under FreeBSD, where you cannot use
sendfile to read from a socket.

 From the sendfile man page on RH 9

        Presently the descriptor from which data is read cannot correspond to a
        socket, it must correspond to a file which supports mmap()-like  opera-
        tions.

So, make sense or not, it don't work.

My apologies then. I thought that Linux could do that. Guess I will have
to think about the FreeBSD version I did could apply to Linux :-)

Regards
-----

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe