tcpdump mailing list archives

packet drops and zero copy filtering?

From: Yuchung Cheng <ycheng () cs ucsd edu>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:32:56 -0700

My web server handles less than 10 http request (html objects less than 10K)
per second. My box is Linux 2.4 with BCM5700 card.  I am confused why tcpdump
still drops packet occasionally, for example server syn+ack is not captured?

I also run tcpdump on a busy gigabites link (90MBps) and tcpdump is dropping
lots of packets and locking up the cpu, is there any patch for using Linux
sendfile(2) to minimize dumping to file overhead for capturing? Or can
someone recommend tools for high speed capturing (for Linux)?

Thank you

Yu-chung
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe