tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Copyright and License Question

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:09:34 -0700

On Tuesday, August 19, 2003, at 11:40 AM, Steve Davis wrote:

During the survey, I noted that the following source files do not have a clearly stated copyright and licensing position.

acconfig.h and pcap_enet.c

Could I ask that the tcpdump project place the appropriate copyright and license notices in these files ?

The appropriate notice for acconfig.h is probably the BSD copyright notice in other files; if so, we could probably put it in.

I don't know what the appropriate copyright and license notice would be for pcap-enet.c - I suppose one could ask Rayan Zachariassen. However, given that

        1) it's not compiled into any version of libpcap;

2) it wouldn't fit into any version of libpcap without change (it might have come from an old pre-libpcap version of tcpdump, and never been converted into a libpcap pcap-*.c module);

3) I don't know whether anybody cares enough about whatever platform it supports (AIX on the IBM RT PC?) to keep it around;

perhaps the appropriate thing to do with it is to get rid of it.

Also, the files config.sub and config.guess are made available under the GNU General Public License, with a special exception: "if you distribute this file as part of a program that contains a configuration script generated by Autoconf, you may include it ..."

Can you tell me if the GPL generic license terms apply of if there is indeed a configuration script generated by Autoconf ?

There is, indeed, a configuration script generated by autoconf; that's what "configure" is - it's generated from "configure.in" and "aclocal.m4".

Finally, there is a file called LICENSE which at first blush appears to be the license statement for the PCAP Library as a whole. Is this the intent ? This appears to be a slightly simplified BSD form license. However it refers in paragraphs 1 and 2 to "the above copyright notice" - which is not present in the file.

I assume it's just the license part of the BSD copyright notice. Perhaps it should be changed to 'the copyright notices in the source files", or something such as that, as not all of them have the same copyright notice.

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe