tcpdump mailing list archives

Copyright and License Question

From: Steve Davis <steve.davis () ulticom com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:40:58 -0400

Hi All,

I've just done a survey of the source code for the PCAP Library in preparation for the possible use of this library in a commercial software product. These days, with SCO vs. IBM in the news, the issue of copyright and license issues are hot and I therefore found myself reading the copyright notices in all of the source files for the PCAP library.

During the survey, I noted that the following source files do not have a clearly stated copyright and licensing position.

acconfig.h and pcap_enet.c

Could I ask that the tcpdump project place the appropriate copyright and license notices in these files ?

Also, the files config.sub and config.guess are made available under the GNU General Public License, with a special exception: "if you distribute this file as part of a program that contains a configuration script generated by Autoconf, you may include it ..."

Can you tell me if the GPL generic license terms apply of if there is indeed a configuration script generated by Autoconf ?

Finally, there is a file called LICENSE which at first blush appears to be the license statement for the PCAP Library as a whole. Is this the intent ? This appears to be a slightly simplified BSD form license. However it refers in paragraphs 1 and 2 to "the above copyright notice" - which is not present in the file.

Thank you for your help.

--

Best Regards,

Steve Davis
Principal Engineer
Chief Architect's Office (CAO)

Ulticom
1020 Briggs Road
Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054

Direct:  +1.856.787.2715
Mobile:  +1.856.296.6429
Fax:     +1.856.787.2979

mailto:steve.davis () ulticom com
http://www.ulticom.com/

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe