tcpdump mailing list archives

print ip id

From: George Bakos <gbakos () ists dartmouth edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 18:02:06 -0400

I'm curious as to why we test for nonzero frag offset before printing the
ip id, even though vflag is set.

Many intrusion analysts (self-serving rant here) correlate based on ip id,
and it is often an indicator of poorly crafted packets. It's absence is a
pain.

To avoid printing it unless REALLY desired, how about an additional test
for vflag > 1 :

            if ((off & 0x3fff) != 0 || vflag > 1)
                (void)printf(", id %u", EXTRACT_16BITS(&ip->ip_id));

--
George Bakos
Institute for Security Technology Studies - IRIA